Most homeowners’ insurance policies cover a variety of water damage, including floods, leaks, and storms. However, it’s important to make sure your policy has the coverage you desire, in case of an emergency. Floods, leaks, and storms can cause serious damage in a short period of time, so make sure you’re prepared!

However, there are some types of water damage that may not be covered by your policy. For example, damage from sewage backups is usually excluded from standard policies. To be protected from this type of damage, you’ll need may need to add coverage to your policy or purchase a separate sewage backup insurance policy.

Some insured exclusions include

Flooding – flood damage is typically excluded from standard homeowners insurance policies. To be protected from floods, you’ll need to purchase a separate flood insurance policy.

Mold – mold growth is usually not covered by homeowners insurance policies. So it is important to completely dry out your water-damaged area as soon as possible.

Some mold exceptions are

However, there are some exceptions where insurance companies might provide coverage is when damage is caused by a covered issue like burst pipes or plumbing infrastructure failure in general. But this only applies when the repairs are handled as soon as noticed.

There are also some situations where your homeowner’s insurance policy may provide limited coverage. For example, most policies have a “dwelling limit” that caps the amount of coverage available for the structure of your home. If your home is damaged and the cost to repair it exceeds your dwelling limit, you’ll be responsible for paying the difference out of pocket.

Insurance Coverage

It’s important to read your policy carefully to understand what is and isn’t covered. If you have any questions, be sure to ask your agent or insurer. And, if you need additional coverage, they can help you purchase a separate policy or endorsement.

Water Damage Coverage

If you’re not sure what type of water damage is covered by your policy, contact your insurance company or agent to ask. They’ll be able to help you understand your coverage and make sure you have the protection you need.

Leave a Reply